jentay82

Jenn

I love books from all genres, but right now I'm on a mystery, contemporary, and YA kick.  I have two cats, Monkey and Peepers.

Breaking Saint Jude
Nikki Godwin
Provoked (Enlightenment)
Joanna Chambers
Fallocaust
Quil Carter
Meatworks
Jordan Castillo Price
Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
Cecilia Tan
A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin
Recovering from Life
Debra McKenna
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 5)
J.R. Ward
Progress: 20 %
The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture - Rachel Haimowitz, Heidi Belleau I wanted to like this more than I did. Were there brutal elements in there that should have shocked me? Sure. But, for me, I don't know enough about the characters for it to really gut me. It's like when I hear about someone dying on the news. Yeah, I find it tragic and sad, but if I found out it was the barista that gave me my morning coffee every day or a coworker etc, it would certainly hit me harder. So, reading about these awful things didn't invite me into the characters' horror. I needed more development with them before I was thrown into the story.Also, I"m not sure, but I think the way it was described didn't really frighten me, and I don't know why. I"m a very visual person and smells also really affect me. I never was able to really see the incidents happening. There were so many textures, sights, and smells that I feel like the characters would have been hyper aware of during that ride, and I missed out on that.Also, I'm more of a fan of psychological thrillers than say gore etc. I think getting into the minds of all of the characters more than their actual actions also would have read better for me.I do see that Dougie is more of the thinker, and Mat is more of the emotional one, so I'm intrigued to see how each will develop into their new roles. Which one will break first, and will they break due to logically understanding this is their only choice now or will it be due to emotions getting the best of them?I think as more of the story comes in, and I read more about the characters themselves I should 'enjoy' it more. Right now though I think this first serial needed to be fleshed out more for me to love it.