jentay82

Jenn

I love books from all genres, but right now I'm on a mystery, contemporary, and YA kick.  I have two cats, Monkey and Peepers.

Breaking Saint Jude
Nikki Godwin
Provoked (Enlightenment)
Joanna Chambers
Fallocaust
Quil Carter
Meatworks
Jordan Castillo Price
Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
Cecilia Tan
A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin
Recovering from Life
Debra McKenna
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 5)
J.R. Ward
Progress: 20 %

Burn

Burn - T.J. Klune **Alright excuse me for a moment as I geek out and at several points mention Joss Whedon and cultural references in this review. I won’t be able to really discuss the plot or use direct quotes much because almost everything would be spoilerish.**Let me first say that I loved this book! People expecting a straightforward science fiction book or a romance won’t get that in this book. What they will get are elements of adventure, horror, romance, science fiction, and an eventual epic journey. It’s a combination of everything I love, and what gets me excited about reading.While reading Burn I kept getting a sense of nostalgia. When I think back to those movies as a child I loved such as E.T., The Goonies, or The Neverending Story, random pieces will jar my memory. Every time I hear the score to E.T., I instantly remember the scene where they are pedaling across the moon. That’s how I felt with this book. The imagery at times is so sharp and detailed that I know many moments of this book will come back to me over and over again. The roof scene and the moment with the tree are particularly special. The author has also posted a novel playlist, and while reading certain chapters I would listen and now certain songs will always be a nostalgic trigger for Burn, especially ‘Set Fire to the Rain.’ Stories such as this invite you to make the journey along with the characters.I love what this book makes me think and process.As Joss Whedon wrote for Buffy: “You still don’t get it. It’s not about what’s right. It’s not about what’s wrong. It’s about power.”This book explores this whole idea of US versus THEM in society. The Outsiders/Different Ones versus the Normals. There is the question of can someone who is ‘different’ blend in with the ‘normals’ for a time, even years, and go largely unnoticed and be happy? Can the different ones have friends and family that love them and support them regardless? If you are different, are you obligated to feel a sense of loyalty to others like yourself? Do you fight for your group as a whole or do you sit back and do nothing? These are questions our main character, Felix, asks himself in different formats and often doesn’t come up with a solid answer. Most probably because these questions are complex and very personal for each individual. The author brings in the idea of the government and its control of individuals’ rights. Can and will the government interfere with people based on their differences? The results could be deadly.This doesn’t only extend though to the broad idea of THEM or Normals. This goes towards your family and your partner. If you’ve been told its fate that you care for these people and that its written that you must support and love them, is that all there is that binds you to them? Can you love someone so different from yourself or instantaneously? Does everything that has been tied to fate determine one’s destiny?“Welcome home, Findo Unum,” he breathed, pushing a hidden button that raised the steel gate. It rose slowly, inevitably.”What this book displays is that everything in life is about choices. No matter who you’ve been told to love or told what your fate is there are choices that a person has to make to choose their path. In Felix’s case, the choices are just more extreme.Tj Klune said it best:The choices humans make are like a ripple in a pond. They carry from one to another, bouncing, dancing. Colliding. And still they go on. But you. The choices you make are like a tsunami in the ocean.----Burn (Elementally Evolved)This book also has much suspense and seriously the last 30% I was nervous as hell. I don’t often get that way with books, but I was completely freaked out and waiting for the shoe to drop. I thought I had things figured out several times only to be proven I was wrong. Like waaaaaaay wrong.“Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.” –Joss WhedonIt’s not all suspenseful though. There is much humor and adventure and the secondary characters are a blast. I cared about all of them and didn’t mind when the main characters shared time with them. Let me also make a note that I can appreciate how this author writes female characters. So often they are over the top or crazy psychos in this genre. Whether you like the females in his books or not, I can understand their reactions. The romance aspect is also rockin. Smut heaven.I loved it, I will reread this with my friends when it becomes available, and I will reread this probably several times before the sequel is released. Gooooooo read it!!And lastly, I leave you with this. This was me for a solid 10 minutes when I finished the book. Interpret it how you will.http://youtu.be/A1Gy1eu-680